Not-for-Profit and Charity Law
Our lawyers are passionate about the work we do with charities, trusts and community organisations.
We act for numerous not-for-profit organisations and charities.
Our clients range in size from $2,000 annual turnover to over $50 million annual turnover. We work with local hobby and sporting groups, social enterprises, disability charities, health care charities, aged care providers, education providers and schools, medical research charities, registered clubs and religious organisations.
We have also been called upon by a NSW state government department to prepare template governance documents as a guide for not-for-profits seeking funding from the department.
Corporate governance and compliance
We can help your organisation by:
- Advising on changes to constitutions and rules, including preparing required resolutions and information statements
- Establishing new organisations and structures required as a condition for government funding
- Advising on procedure and disputes involving members
- Attending and providing support to the Board at Annual General Meetings and Special General Meetings
- Advising on obtaining and maintaining deductible gift recipient (DGR) status, including the creation of special purpose DGR funds
- Conducting practical corporate governance training, including on directors duties.
We can also help when there are departmental investigations or charges laid, and we are experienced in matters involving Worksafe NSW, Family and Community Services, Liquor and Gaming and ASIC.
Transactions and contracts
Our team is experienced in acting on sales and purchases of businesses and business assets across a wide range of industries. We have also acted on a number of mergers between organisations and worked with our clients when they have decided to transfer from an incorporated association to a company limited by guarantee.
We are experienced in advising organisations on the terms of funding agreements and assisting our clients when there may have been non-compliance with those terms. We can also assist with preparing cost-effective template supplier and services contracts, and advise and negotiate terms of contracts to ensure that our client’s rights are protected.
Our lawyers can provide advice in all employment-related matters including:
- Preparing and advising on policies, including privacy, whistleblowing and work health and safety
- Claims for unfair dismissal and unlawful termination and preparing deeds of release
- Advising on, negotiating and drafting enterprise agreements
- Preparing employment contract templates
- Advising on the application of Awards
- Advising on all aspects of workplace rights, including parental leave and flexible working hours
- Advising and representing clients in claims involving Work, Health and Safety.
Property law and conveyancing
A number of our clients manage many significant property holdings, whether their own or under lease or management agreement.
We can assist with property purchases and sales (including call options), leases and tenancy agreements. Our lawyers are experienced in preparing and negotiating construction contracts, whether for minor renovations or major design and construct projects.
Not-for-Profit & Charity Law
Privacy & Data Security
Selling a Business
REQUEST A CALL BACK
Need help with a legal issue?
Send us your details and one of our team members will be in touch.