WOLLONGONG(02) 4221 9311
SHELLHARBOUR(02) 4295 8400

Liquor Licensing Law

Obtaining the right advice on liquor licensing can mean the difference between failure and success.

Liquor Licensing Lawyers

What do I need to apply for a liquor licence?

Liquor licences are governed by the Office of Liquor and Gaming in NSW and issued under the Liquor Act 2007 (NSW). While there are varying classes of licences you can apply for, you will generally need a completed application to include plans of the proposed licensed premises, a National Police Certificate, a Community Impact Statement, details of your development approval and evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol qualification.

Our team can help guide you through the application process and liaise with the Office of Liquor and Gaming on your behalf to progress your application.

What should I do if I’ve received a fine from the Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing?

Receiving penalty infringement notices can be daunting, and with the Three Strikes Scheme, can have adverse impacts on your business above the monetary value of the infringement notice. Kells can assist you whether you need to:

  • Contest the infringement notice in Court
  • Make submissions or representations to the Office of Liquor and Gaming regarding the infringement
  • Make submissions to the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority in making a decision to issue a strike, or any other imposition of conditions on your licence.

What should I do with my liquor licence if I am moving, closing down for renovations or selling my business?

If you are selling or buying a licenced business, you will need to transfer the liquor licence from the current owner to the new owner. If you are relocating, you will also need approval from the Office of Liquor and Gaming.

You may, from time to time, need to cease trading for an extended period due to works being carried out at your business premises. In this case, you will need to give notice to the Office of Liquor and Gaming and be approved before you cease to trade, and prior to recommencing trade.

We can assist you in liaising with the Office of Liquor and Gaming and provide the information needed to streamline the process.

Debt Recovery




Liquor Licensing

Not-for-Profit & Charity Law

Privacy & Data Security

Selling a Business


Need help with a legal issue?
Send us your details and one of our team members will be in touch.