Be careful, as of last month, new road rules will change the speed limit whilst passing parked emergency vehicles, regardless of the designated speed limit.
Here are some points to save you from a $448 fine:
- Reduce your speed to 40km per hour as safely as possible when passing a stopped emergency service vehicle flashing their red and blue lights.
- Give way to pedestrians and emergency service workers on foot in the incident area.
- If you are driving on the opposite side of the road to the parked emergency vehicle, you must also slow down to 40km per hour, unless the road is divided by a median strip.
- You may resume a higher speed once it is safe to do so given the circumstances.
- Should you not obey these new rules, you are liable to a $448 fine.
This article was written by the Kells Criminal Law Team